Monday, September 5, 2011

Love is in the air

I just went to my fourth of four weddings for this summer. Whew. Luckily for me, three out of four were located in Juneau, while the fourth took place in LA, a city which is really growing on me.

#1 S&M (the initials are for their first names, not any sort of deviance as far as I know) married in the winter, but had their party in the summer at the Yacht Club. That may sound stuffy, but there is little about Juneau that qualifies as stuffy. It was a fun and lighthearted event with great friends, delicious food, drinks and dancing. These two make me happy by how happy they are. Cuuuuute.

#2 E&J have been together for as long as I've known them and I've known them since I moved here, pretty much. They've been a cute little family for a while now, but hearing those sincere and tender vows almost brought a tear to my eye. It was a small wedding and reception, but it brought together a lot of the friends I made during my first six months in Juneau.

#3 M&S (Confused? It's a different couple with similar names) are two artist friends who have been dating for some years, much of it long distance, but they are pretty great together. It was another typical Juneau wedding with all familiar, smiling faces. These kinds of weddings are community events, everyone celebrating that two of us found love.

#4 M&J have a cute story, in which they met at the wedding of a mutual friend and bonded, then eventually fell in love while M was living in China and J was in LA. Three years later, they married in a spectacular event at a gorgeous location with a lot of great people and, this is super exciting to me, it was a pretty traditional Jewish wedding. I liked the Hora so much that another guest and I somehow managed to initiate a second go of it during a Katy Perry song.

I also attended three pre-wedding bashes (bachelor/ette parties), which were all fun for very different reasons. Whether it was a reunion of girlfriends, silly games, or shooting guns on a boat trip - there was a lot of fun to be had!

I think I was occasionally accused of being a "bitter single friend" but I don't think I was ever bitter, despite being single most of the time. I like being single, though I've discovered that I also enjoy being in a relationship as well. I guess the best thing about relationships in general, be they romantic or platonic, is the support system you create, the caring and love that is shared, and the laughs. Those are priceless.

I also think it is notable that I went to the Museum of Jurassic Technology. I was set up to expect something strange and inexplicable and that's what I got. Special thanks to friend, J, for meeting up with me for that little adventure and for letting me crash on his couch again. It was nice to be only a 7-10 minute drive from the rental car drop off.

Also notable is that I learned a lot about driving in LA, trial by fire, which luckily did not involve gunshot wounds. I suppose the one positive thing, should I have been shot when I found myself lost in that bad neighborhood, was that it was relatively near a hospital that sees a lot of gunshot wounds.

And I guess further notable things, including reminding ourselves how much fun E, J & I have hanging out, is that we are pretty sure we saw Sam Rockwell while having breakfast on Sunday. I did not act like a starstruck jerk. Thank goodness.

I should update more often so that I am not writing pages worth every month or so.

No comments: