Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Obituary

When I participated in Leadership Juneau, one of the exercises was to write my own obituary. I doubt I still have it, but I remember it reasonably well.

I think I went to law school or got a masters degree in something interesting, maybe environmental policy, I worked in the non-profit field and I started a charity, I was a world traveler, married just once, when I was older and wiser, maybe I had kids. The part that stands out is that I listed my cause of death as follows:

Melissa and her husband died in a small aircraft crash near Lake Baikal after attending a conference pertaining to the devastation of the surrounding environs. She was 91 years old.

Seriously, I decided that I'd be an old, old lady and that I'd die happy and accomplished in a friggin' plane crash.

We had to share our obituaries with another person in the group and I got paired up with a guy in his 50's probably. He was (still is) a put together guy, works in real estate, and he seems pretty rational. He told me:

"You don't live to be that old and then die in a plane crash."

Well, if former Senator Ted Stevens can live to be 86 and then die in a plane crash, John's theory is proven wrong. But, of course, now that Uncle Ted has done it, I need to pick a new way to go:

Melissa and her husband, both old as sin, died in a fiery explosion as their spacecraft collided with a meteor, saving the planet earth from certain doom. They were on their 65th anniversary "cruise."

Also, I eulogized today that it was "an epic death for a kind of epic guy." and I hope that when I go, I'll get an equally as awesome eulogy stamped on my tombstone.

No comments: