Monday, October 12, 2009

Holiday

I'd like to thank the federal government for providing me with a paid holiday, but I am definitely not in the camp that approves of Columbus Day. I live in a community with a fairly large Native Alaskan population, I can see everyday that I started with an advantage from way back at the starting line, hundreds of years ago. I won't get into it, but I hope you take some time to reflect on the history of genocide and marginalization.

In lighter news, I had a fairly wild weekend with some late nights, some drinking, some Scrabble, some Apples to Apples, some Discovery Channel specials, and some Trivia. If it sounds geeky, that's because it was. Some of the time. I'm pretty confident that the new guy at the bar is trained well enough that he can handle the bar on his own - which he's doing as I type this - and I am looking forward to not working until the actual day I am scheduled to work next weekend.

The best news is that I checked on my PFD status and I have been deemed eligible to receive $1305 for allowing oil companies to rape and pillage my adopted home. It'll probably just go toward paying bills and rent.

I've also chosen a Halloween costume and am again excited for my favorite holiday - it's first place because of my love of wearing costumes. Second place is New Year's Eve - based on my love of wearing fancy dresses and drinking champagne and making bad decisions.


No comments: