Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Life in My Hands

When I was a freshman in college I joined a sorority. I don't think it is any big secret that we each got an ivy plant in a hand decorated terra cotta pot. But if it was, I totally just gave away the big secret.

I hope it wasn't some sort of symbolic plant, representing sisterly love and devotion - because I totally KILLED IT.

So, if you wikipedia ivy, you can read that it is considered an invasive weed in some areas because it will basically take over, killing other plants, etc. I killed it.

It was when I was living in a loft room with my freshman year roommate during the summer (it survived some months). We were having nice weather and I thought that my ivy plant might like some direct sunlight, because I'm not an effin' gardener and I thought that all plants love sunshine. Well, I fried my darling little ivy plant on the roof. I found it crispy and dead the next day. I tried to water it but the poor, desicated little thing was not coming back to life.

Today I bought a ficus elastica decora - or a rubber plant or something - and I am going to do my best to NOT kill it. I even googled care instructions. Apparently dogs and children might eat it and die but it is super easy to take care of, requiring not too much sunlight and probably once a week watering.

If dogs and babies required such little care, I might have some.

The goal is to have it in the office to make it look a little less bare, along with a clock radio so I can have background noise and know the time, and maybe I'll draw some nice pictures for the walls. We'll see.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Uh, good luck. I kill houseplants every 4-6 months. I've gone through I don't even know how many. Hope you've more of a green thumb than I do ;)

Sarah said...

get a jade. they don't die. i haven't watered mine in months and it's still kickin!

Melissa Leeanne said...

I've been getting some good suggestions, perhaps my apartment will star looking jungly soon.