Thursday, April 23, 2009

Procrastination: A Novel by T.S. Garp

Last night I stayed up until past 4am. Ick. It was a chain reaction of things that led me to stay up so late. It's hard to determine whether one should go backward or forward in the telling of such a mire of things and events.

Backward: Reading. Working. Drinking and billiards. Working. Dinner and sunshine. Working. Working while effing around on the internet - let's be honest. Working. Oversleeping.

Forward: I slept later than intended and headed to work to make last minute calls and enter data, enter data, enter data. I can't enter data for too long without wanting to tear things apart, I also facebooked, blogged, read my RSS feeds, etc. It was sunny out, so near the end of the day I was excited to go out into the sun and have dinner. I tried to make plans with Miss L but that fell through. Again. OK, it doesn't ALWAYS fall through, but it's about 50/50. I ate my dinner outside at Silverbow, gazing at the mountains over the channel. Then I went back to work for a little while. Mr. T convinced me that I should take a little break from work to hang out with him and Mr. J at the Bergmann, where I went and played pool. Then it was back to more work. Then it was really, really late when I walked home, but to wind down from the walk home, I started reading The World According to Garp and found myself engrossed, reading at least a couple chapters when I should have gone straight to bed. I wasn't brought out of this engrossed state until Miss J came home to rest another hour before going to work.

Because life is just that much more fun when it is complicated I'll go ahead and share a little story about how I feel obligated to wave a red flag. When I showed up to hang out with Mr. T (and make fun of his face) and Mr. J, another friend of mine happened to be there. The crazy friend. The friend who stirred up drama in my life long distance. The friend, who even after my repeated declarations that I was not sleeping with her ex, nor did I plan to, asked one more time if there was anything between us. When Miss J asked her why she continued to ask me, or more importantly perhaps why she asked in the first place, crazy friend claimed falsely that I had been asking about him a ton. She had told me it was because of facebook wall posts - all two of them. In any case, she is, in many ways, a lovely and amazing person. I can see why a guy might initally have a bit of a crush on her, but the crazy - it comes out - there's no stopping it. Now, I don't know if Mr. J actually has any interest in crazy friend, but maybe it seemed like there was a hint of interest, I want to wave the red flag, I want to spray paint her bright orange as a warning, I want to attach a rattler - something. Part of it is selfish, sure, I may have just a little bit of a crush on Mr. J, but most of it is for his own good. Even if nothing ever happens with Mr. J and me, I don't want him to have to learn the hard way about seemingly harmless but actually quite crazy women.

Now I am updating the auction catalog - it's tedious. The database I once thought was quite user-friendly is not really as light and easy as I had hoped. The good news is that we've exceeded the fundraising goal. The bad news is this may be another late night. Luckily I am armed with granola bars, rice cakes, and organic little oranges. And smart water. And hopefully, tucked away somewhere, some motivation. Hopefully I'll get out with enough time to plod downtown to the Alaskan for open mic night before retiring to my bed to, hopefully, actually sleep.

No comments: