Friday, October 10, 2008

Now I'm all riled up...

So, the happy news is that our candidate was in town, we had a town hall meeting, and it was a success! People showed up and mingled, then asked questions and heard the candidate's responses, and people who had come in undecided left as supporters! Yay!

Plus, I am definitely in my element planning events - I made sure things got set up properly and then was put on mingling duty to start and then table duty so our intern could sit in. I never get to actually sit in on events and listen. I am always doing something. Boo.

We started the day at 10 but ended up working all day until 12:30am. Our intern was helping me make GOTV charts and discovered a fortune from a past fortune cookie on my desk. It read, "You will soon receive an unusual gift." I went out to lunch with Miss J in the afternoon. We went to Zen. I got another fortune. It read, "Be prepared to receive something special in a large package." Our darling intern added, "In BED!" and then I had to tell him to get his mind out of the gutter because I don't want high school boys talking about me receiving something special in a large package in bed...

We've discovered now that Fridays are no longer the glorious days they once were. We now have to make calls and treat Fridays like any other day. Nooooo!

25 days never felt so long.

Oh, and I'm riled up because of men who have strong opinions about restricting women's rights. It's all well and fine for men to say they are staunchly pro-life, or that abortion should be restricted to only very few circumstances, or that it is no big deal if pharmacists can refuse to fill prescriptions for birth control, or if birth control is in no way covered by health insurance... a man doesn't have a uterus or ovaries, a man doesn't have to bear a child for 9 months in the womb, a man doesn't have to give birth, a man doesn't have to buy and take birth control pills... How about you worry about YOUR body and let women worry about ours. When you have the same problems, then you can come up with answers that affect women. Fuck you, oppressive bastards. And... calm. Sorry, but I have to vent.

1 comment:

Myron Davis said...

Maybe it is because people don't really stop and try to understand issues from a different point of view.

Congratulations on the town hall meeting!