Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Angry Republicans Say the Darndest Things

So, as a democrat calling republicans, you can imagine that every once in a while, conversations don't go smoothly.

Best examples to date:

A 5 minute tirade about how despicable democrats are, answers to all my questions, and a comment about how he wouldn't give a democrat the time of day. My response? Thank you for your time, sir. I really appreciate it.

A pro-lifer, apparently ignoring the fact that Ted Stevens is pro-choice, called me, among other things, a liberal baby killer. He accused me of not looking at the issues, rather than allowing for me to have different opinions. I got off the phone as soon as I could, having squeezed in a time or two that Stevens is pro-choice and that maybe he should look into Bob Byrd for Senate. Apparently we're not allowed to campaign for Bob Byrd anymore...

An evangelical responded to my initial question with, "Do you know Jesus? 'Cause that's who I'm campaigning for!" and continued with all the usual Jesus-freak questions and statements about letting him into your heart and talking about how he died for you, etc. Eventually I uttered a very calm and cautious, "Ma'am, I'm going to have to end this call," because you know Jesus would have been a democrat and you never know who the Jesus-freaks will vote for. Probably Sarah Palin, but we're hoping that Palin supporters might still support our candidate because they are so obsessed with ethics and ridding the world of corruption and our opponent is on trial for 7 felony counts.

Tonight was a lucky night with the republican crowd. I think that they may have a hard time believing that liberal baby killers could have manners. I put on my most saccharine sweet voice and my nicest manners, charming the answers out of dozens of solid republicans. I even told one woman that I was working for the Alaska Democratic Party and she, moments later, commented that she didn't know if I was democrat or republican or what, but she really wanted me to see this article about this legislator in Florida who was trying to rally the "Jews and Blacks" against Sarah Palin.

The thing about this election season is that, well, it is very polarizing. Regularly, we would all be friendly and all interact so civilly. I don't get called a liberal baby killer when I'm shopping at the grocery store. I don't get people trying to shove a bible down my throat when I'm helping them while at other jobs (usually). And I definitely don't get called despicable EVER. That is just one more reason why I'd like the election to be over already. When all is said and done, the dust will settle and while political discussions may still be fairly common, the accusations should be far less.

2 comments:

Myron Davis said...

It is sad to say, but some people don't stop to realize that is that there is two very different ways at looking at different issues and in all cases one way or the other isn't right.

Especially in abortion you have the rights of a potential new human being in direct conflict with the rights of a person to do whatever they want with their own body.

It doesn't solve anything by getting angry, and as long as you stay calm and don't become irrational that is all you can hope for.

I don't think you are despicable in anyway for whatever that is worth!

Personally I think it is good to talk about political beliefs in a civil manner. Especially when they are seeing things from a point of view which is different than your own. That is the best way to learn things is by trying to understand the opponent, it is much more interesting to not talk to the choir all of the time.

Melissa Leeanne said...

Luckily they aren't all angry. Of the thousands of calls I've made, these are the three that stood out most.