Thursday, August 28, 2008

Picnics! Conventions! Danger! What an adventure!

Today, my candidate was in town. We stayed in the office late last night cleaning, making signs and calendars and maybe enjoying a beer or two. Or three. By this morning the office was definitely presentable and we showed up, a little tired but ready for a big day.

Between setting up for press conferences, costco runs, and data entry, there was little to no time for rest. We don't need rest, though. We are field organizers. We need only caffeine, deadlines, quotas, and of course, a cause to keep us going.

I have to say, I like my candidate. I like him as a person. He is a nice guy, very down to earth, a little nervous and fidgety when he speaks, friendly, good natured, funny, and honest. I was talking to a former customer from my credit union days, and I was explaining how nice it is to have a job that means something, to work for a goal and a change rather than working for money. I feel pretty good about all of it.

Today, we almost killed a supporter, or rather, our faulty tent did. Our first arrival at the picnic was a woman who seemed to be traipsing along in her own reality. She stood there printing her information neatly on our sign-up sheet, humming, as a gust of wind blew our tent down, three little pigs style, nearly on our heads. Luckily the boys saw this and rushed to hold up the tent while I tried to coax the lady into the stable shelter just feet away. She didn't respond. She continued to hum and print neatly and precisely while the boys stood there, looking confused as to why this woman would remain standing under a tent which nearly collapsed onto her head. I literally had to suggest that she get food so I could move the table and allow the boys to remove the irreparably damaged tent.

The picnic was a big success. My candidate showed up and was wonderful with people, talking to them about their concerns, shaking hands, smiling for photos, and giving a brief but gracious and powerful speech. Special guest at the event aside from my candidate? Gary Garble. He stopped by and chatted with me for a bit before careening off to less rational pursuits. I recognized faces from other events and had a good time heading up the sign up table.

After the picnic, Mr. A and I rode with my candidate to the Convention Watch Party at Centennial Hall. We watched Obama's speech and then my candidate went up to speak. There was a great turnout at this event as well. We mixed and mingled and handed out stickers to people who would most likely support us as well.

Now we are back at the office and doing data entry and having conference calls. It may not sound like much, but we had a good day. We had FUN.

No comments: