Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Learning to deal:

With red, white, and blue.

Patriotism is something I have at times defined as the following things:

Flag related kitsch.
Stars & Stripes.
Xenophobic country lyrics.
War.
Unconditional support of elected officials.
Fireworks and parades.

That's why I didn't like patriotism.

What is patriotism, really? For me, at least, it is being dedicated enough to my country that I will always consider it my home, no matter where I may travel, and therefore I will do what I must to facilitate the changes necessary to make my country a country of which I can be proud.

The one thing I still have trouble with? The fact that I still have to deal with a lot of red, white, and blue. Seriously. Had I not been getting somewhat of a buzz from the marker fumes, I may have had a less fun time making a poster encouraging people to sign up to volunteer.

No comments: