Thursday, August 7, 2008

Good times with the girls!

A girls' night was the reason I took Wednesday off work. Miss J had been working together with some of our girlfriends to get a girls' night going at Miss H's place. I had spent the earlier part of the evening with the guys - 3 50-60 year old miners - but I parted ways because it was time for girls' night! I went home and changed, walked across downtown to Miss H's apartment, and discovered that everyone was leaving. The whole concept of staying up late is apparently far different for: baristas and pregnant women, who made up most of the crowd. I sat with Miss J and Miss H for a few minutes, but with both yawning and dreaming of pillows, I went to meet up with some other ladies.

I met up with Miss A and Miss M, to find Miss D and Miss K present as well. Miss A rocked the 'Vous with her karaoke stylings, while the rest of us had fun talking and enjoying (or being horrified by) the night's varied performances. Miss L called and convinced me to head over to the Alaskan, worthwhile since Deering & Down was performing, and then I headed back to the 'Vous where I was invited to a lunch date the following day. I walked to the wharf with Miss T, Mr. L, Miss L, and Mr. C, where some got Döner Kebabs and some of us were just there for fun. We had the misfortune of meeting someone who probably watches Nascar and definitely had a shirt with General Robert E. Lee on the back. He thought we were quite ignorant when our "guesses" included Karl Marx as well as other famous bearded men who most definitely weren't his heroes. He didn't seem to get the joke. Poor Miss R who works the Kebab shop was trying to close the place up when he remained inside harassing her. I used my bartender skills and told him he had to leave and let her close up shop. He listened, but according to Mr. I (Miss R's boyfriend), he was back one more time before she had to lock herself in and him out.

Mr. L, Miss T, and I had a continued adventure, swinging in cope park and narrowly escaping a bear. We then stopped back at my house, where I stayed and went to sleep after they borrowed "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" and left.

Wednesday I woke up and my first order of business was to join the ladies for lunch. Upon my most punctual arrival, I found nobody there so I went on a couple adventures. I walked down Franklin where I ran into the woman I've worked with at the temp agency, but whom I've known longer than that. She and I talked for a moment and she dragged me down into "the cave" or my future office (come Monday). I met the regional Field Organizer and got to see where my desk would be. I then went and peeped into the restaurant again, slightly late, and didn't see anyone. I stopped by Mr. EJ's place of employment to say hello and hear of his most recent plans for escape. After chatting for a bit I went back and found Miss R and Miss T, who were still waiting for Miss D. We had a lovely lunch which perhaps resembled a Sex and the City lunch date.

After that I went and spent a bit of time with Miss B, walked around in the sunshine, and had an ice cream cone. I then decided it would be a good idea to grab my book and head to cope park (despite the mosquitoes and no-see-ums). I spent some more time swinging and a bit of time reading, then went home to take a nice nap. The nap was a terrible idea. It felt great to just curl up on the couch and sleep, but when I woke up almost 5 hours later, I was in trouble. I tried to go back to sleep at around 11pm, but I don't know actually if I made it to a deep sleep stage before being awakened at 3:00am. I hit the snooze button a few times and then got up with not enough time to pull it all together. I managed to get most everything together but my food for the day consists of Kefir (yogurt drink), miso (soy paste for soup), and dried apricots. I guess I'll be healthy today by accident...

Today is my last day on Island, my last day at the mine, and word travels fast. People in different departments already know of my upcoming departure and even of my career plans. The seat-buddy stopped by to wish me luck just now. He's in exploration geology. I'll miss some of the people, but I won't miss the job or the early and long hours...

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh, wow... you have Döner Kebabs?! You have no idea how lucky you are.

Melissa Leeanne said...

I know! It's amazing... I need to take advantage of it more often.