Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Out of the loop...

Me and my dumb job and its ability to keep me way far out of the loop. I have always been a somewhat out of the loop person, but this is ridiculous. Seriously.

How out of the loop is Melissa?
She has never seen Top Gun (people think this is really weird).
She has not seen 2/3 of the Indiana Jones trilogy or this most recent one.
She watched 9 to 5 and So I Married an Axe Murderer for the first times this week.
She doesn't know who would be a good actress to cast as herself in a biographical comedy about her crazy family which would definitely be directed by Wes Anderson - she does know that she hopes Jason Schwartzman is cast as her love interest though.
She doesn't know who has the #1 album or #1 song.
She doesn't know what is playing in cinemas.
She doesn't know who is in concert these days.
She doesn't know what happened in Desperate Housewives or Ugly Betty OR GREY'S ANATOMY though she never really did.
Etc.

I guess it's not all that bad that I'm hiding in my own little limited media world. I mean, I do know all about Russian society in the 1800's and that has to count for something, right? What I'm trying to say is: I have about 100 pages to go on Anna Karenina and I've been far more impressed with the story, characters, and plot in the second 2/3 of the book. I don't know why 1/3 seems to be my cut off point, the point at which I get fed up and walk away... Glad I picked it back up though. While you wouldn't expect it, a lot of the emotions and actions of the characters can be pretty relevant and there are always parallels when it comes to social issues.

I will also feel really accomplished once I read the last page. Just please, don't ask me to analyze it too much, my head might explode.

Tonight the Obama Office in Juneau is opening, there will be a little reception and I am excited to go! I was trying to make plans with Mr. A (we fail at making plans mostly) but I really want to go to this. I've invited him to attend if he'd like, who knows. If not, I listed myself as bringing a guest, so maybe I'll coerce someone else to go along. Doesn't matter if I have one or not, really.

Also today is my Friday, so I am looking forward to staying out later than the past few nights (that honestly just means going to bed after 9:30-10:30 pm) and getting to sleep in tomorrow morning!

In great news, I have found or been found by the exchange students from my senior year in high school. I got to be pretty close with these kids and am really excited to be in touch with all of them again. I've kept in touch with Miss Mafia and Miss IR but now I'm back in touch with Mr. RS and Miss KK who were a lot of fun as well. I hope we manage a reunion sometime soon!

This morning I got in a fight with my snooze button, the snooze button totally sabotaged my wakeup call. Somehow. I woke up at 3:50 instead of a reasonable hour, and because Mr. I drove this morning I had just enough time to dress, make sure the bangs weren't sticking out at odd angles, grab some food (though not the fresh homemade marinara I made) and walk to Mr. I's place. That means it is totally shower time when I get home and before I go mingle with the other Obama Advocates.

1 comment:

Myron Davis said...

Some of the stuff at the Obama party will be from me! They took extra stuff as I moved away!