Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Karma Police Busted my Happy Home

I guess, when you aren't really the poster child for purity, good behavior, and virtuousity, karmic payback can be a real bitch.

1. No money for Melissa:
I have missed TWO days of work at the mine. One day, the alarm didn't go off, leaving me in solemn slumber until the sound of an engine idling outside my window piqued my consciousness. I had to run out in my pajamas, bleary eyed, mumbling about my inability to attend work. Yet another day, I was actually ready to go, but my ride never showed. I sat on my bed, staring out the window, then went for a nice little 4:45am stroll once I had determined that I'd be staying in Juneau for the day. That's two days (in a row for this job) when I didn't get work done and didn't get paid. Ouch.

2. No communication for Melissa:
Perhaps triggering my wake-up and ride troubles, I lost my phone on Tuesday. This perhaps triggered a string of events, all of which shall be listed in as whiney a tone as I assume the average reader can tolerate. I had the misfortune of being completely isolated from the rest of the world, missing calls, text messages, and being unable to wake up on time. Rough.

3. No man for Melissa:
Things with me and the Mountain Man took a dip. Also, possibly related to the lack of phone thing, I got stood up twice in a row. Ouch. Now, before people go snickering about the sad state of my social life, before people start getting upset with Mr. MM, he finally sent me a text message saying he has been sick. I'm choosing to believe, forgive, and forget. It has been a long and lonely week without Mr. MM, full of excessive drinking, karaoke, and other coping mechanisms.

4. No plans for Melissa:
While my phone was missing I missed going out to Miss G's final dinner in town - luckily I ran into her and Miss MO while we were heading from one location to another, so we were able to grab drinks at the Hangar before Miss G's departure. My Wednesday and Thursday nights were all planned out, until the plans fell through. In an attempt to not let a man get me down, I decided at some point in each night that I should go out instead of moping. This somehow led to me singing Karaoke, drinking whiskey, and perhaps behaving in a regretful fashion. Despite being cut off from all lines of communication, I somehow managed to keep busy. By Friday afternoon I worked something out with the phone situation, thank goodness, and was able to go to a bonfire full of minors (not miners), have a night out at the AK while in a funk, and sleep on my couch on another Saturday night.

5. No fun for Melissa:
Even though I managed to get out a lot, most of the time I was deep in a funk that would not allow me to properly enjoy all of the excitement. I am 100% guilty of being "hung up" on a guy. Oh no. Try as I may have, I couldn't ignore that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach that things weren't alright.

Things weren't all bad though, I swear. I was able to appreciate spending time with Miss MO, hanging out with some friends at least while we were actually hanging out, and I watched a couple good movies. Also, my funk was immediately lifted when Mr. MM informed me of his infirm state. Now, call me a sucker, but I'm waiting patiently for my "I'm all better and want to see you as soon as I can" call. Seriously - I should be slapped. Right?

1 comment:

Myron Davis said...

Glad to see you are still alive.

I know what it's like to be hung-up on someone. But it sounds as if not all is lost!!!

One thing I can say, as a guy I like to be called. But that is just me.

I take it you found your phone again right?

Well if you're in a funk you can call me and I'll attempt to do my best to make a happier Melissa!!!!!!