Sunday, May 18, 2008

I'm ready!

I'm ready to be on my own, to have my own shift, to be a REAL bartender. At least for a day shift... At least that is what the bartender who's been training me and who has been bartending longer than I've been alive said. I think I trust him. I think the owners will trust him. I'm pretty excited.

Last night I went out to dinner and treated myself with my share of the tips - it's pretty much all gone now, if you include the drink I bought for my new buddy Miss A. Which I do, since I have only a five left in my wallet. I need a better job like mad. Seriously. I mean, I guess it isn't a matter of better so much as better paying or more stable - I like to know that I'll make at least X amount of money in a month and I have no clue. I can't wait for that damn stimulus check or my other tax refund check. Then I'll feel like I can survive.

I've still been going out to the bars almost every day - such a lush! I at least get paid for some of it now, so I don't feel quite as bad. Although, I am sitting in a bar right now using wi-fi - I wasn't planning on getting a drink but the bartender made me a lovely tropical drink with some Stoli Strawberry and goodness knows what else - he recommended I just sip it, so it must be full of booze. It's tasty though. I worked at the boutique today, and I should be working most every day for the next two weeks - not that I'll make tons of money - but some, at least.

Tomorrow, since I don't work, I think I will go to the valley on the bus and get an Alaska driver's license and a new phone plan since T-Mobile is dropping me (they don't like Alaska). So, goodbye, Oregon identity. I am giving in and becoming an Alaskan now.

Yesterday, while I was working (about a full shift and nearly on my own) a bar patron asked me if I was Irish, then if the carpet matched the drapes, and when I refused to answer he accused me of shorting him $10. The wise old barman and my bartending mentor called him on his shit and taught me that I need to be more confident and remember that I'm pretty much always right. Yep, that's right. This is a business in which the customer is not always right, I AM. Kind of neat. I knew I was right, I even double checked. Nothing was out of place, so he was just being a bitter old creeper because I wouldn't disclose the color of my pubic hair. Once he had apologized and asked me very politely what my natural hair color was, I went back to being friendly. What a pervy old man, though!

I spent last night after my shift hanging out with my new friend and fellow jewelry saleswoman, Miss A. We had some drinks (I served her some and then we shared some), and we went to dinner at the Hangar and had fun. She was feeling kind of sick and left, I made the rounds downtown but was bored and decided to go home - I worked on reading a bit of Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse Five, before falling asleep on the couch. When my roommate came home late at night I moved to my bed. I just finished reading The God of Small Things - it was wonderful, I'll have to read it again to fully appreciate all of it, but I wanted to get started on the books I got from the library.

I ended up hanging out with Mr. HG over the weekend, discovering that what spark may have once existed, existed no more. I have been trying, and failing, to fill this stupid void in my romantic life. I want desperately to be over a particular person, but I don't think it will happen - I was able to feel pretty connected and not think about that particular person with one guy, but due to circumstances beyond my control - that's over. I just heard from the heartbreaker too, saying he was getting in touch with me because it was much needed or something of that sort. I had sworn him off but I don't think it'll last - I keep wanting to give him another chance and he keeps making it seem like a good idea.

I ran into the twin of the guy who nicknamed me princess last summer - I saw him again and said hi today, he called me kiddo. Apparently nicknaming people is hereditary. I said, "It's Mr. D, right?" and his co-worker/friend gave me his name too and asked me mine, as though we had met. Oh, those jewelry store workers. Looks like last summer's Latin Lover is behaving himself this summer, I guess he's finally taking his engagement seriously. Good for him though, even better for his fiancee.

Might be going to a bonfire tonight - perfect since I don't have to work tomorrow! I just have to call in and set up a schedule. Maybe I'll get a chance to work at the Jewelry Store tomorrow - I'm trying to work as many hours at as many places as possible so I can actually make enough money to survive. Most people make tons of money during the summers and somehow I'm suddenly only barely scraping by.

No comments: