Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hangovers do leave me a bit contemplative...

Today was hangover from hell number two for the summer. Somehow I got the idea that I should buy a bottle of vanilla vodka - more strange than this is that I also got the idea a few swigs in that I should drink myself into oblivion. I spent an indefinite (from my perspective) period of time in that state but was thrust back into the world of lucidity when my body decided to reject the vanilla vodka and the rest of my stomach's contents.

Lucky me, the contents were quite classy that day - perhaps I should have reverted to chronological order, but at this moment the hangover stands out - but back to the contents:
Sushi from lunch and then when I went to Miss L's employee dinner we were treated to some very fine food. We were all dressed up and the table was laid out with trays of matzah bread and tapenade. We were served water with lemon and drinks and had wine with dinner. We ordered hors d'oeuvre trays including escargot, clams, mussels, and sesame and ginger coated ahi. I had a delicious salad with a berry vinaigrette, candied pecans, and crumbled feta. For the actual meal I ordered a dish with halibut and snow crab claws, which came served with rice pilaf. To end the already decadent meal I had a creme brulee. The dinner was amazing, but equally as pleasant was the company. Miss L and Mr. J were of course present, Miss L's formerly rude boss, and all of Miss L's co-workers including Miss K and Mr. B. I would have to say that some people contributed less to the amusing atmosphere than others, but Mr. B and the boss - Mr. S were the life of the party with their occasionally risque anecdotes and sometimes odd behaviors. The highlight was definitely when Mr. S made an 'O-Face' or a series of facial contortions while eating pecan pie. I was encouraged to do the same but am apparently less uninhibited (perhaps because I was the designated driver) and made my face for a much shorter period of time.

After the dinner we stopped by Mr. R and Miss O's place for Miss O's going away party - we were there only rather briefly, but we did some very nice grown up mingling. I talked about health care and networking in Juneau - so adult. Mr. R is Miss L's former step-dad who filled the role of father figure in her life. Miss O is his Spanish girlfriend who is probably back in Spain right now after her several month stay in Juneau. Miss O is pretty young and seems really sweet - unfortunately I never managed to spend time with her in a relaxed social setting - I think that we both could have benefited from the sort of camaraderie that one experiences with a same gender peer in a new place.

After the dinner party and the adult going away party was Miss B and Mr. J's birthday party. We stopped at the Breeze-In on the way, where I picked up a pack of cloves and a bottle of vanilla vodka (as mentioned earlier). When I got there I was sober, it was packed, and while the first swigs didn't go down as easily as I had hoped, after that point I didn't find it difficult at all to drink an obscene amount and exist in a state where memory was - well - a fleeting memory. I literally did not remember doing things just after doing them and I may not have known what I was doing as I was doing it. I lost an earring, perhaps was kissed by someone inappropriate for me, and perhaps did other things which I have not discovered or heard about. I puked off a balcony, puked in the toilet, and puked out of a moving car. I am not proud of this at all, but I'm sure that once the hangover has fully worn off I will find it to be a jolly good anecdote. So far, my only real consolation is that I am apparently a funny and rather pleasant drunk - so while taking care of a puking girl is never the highlight of one's night, my roommates were at least amused by my musings, my confusion, and by me telling Mr. J not to look at me because I was puking and looking probably rather frightful.

I had to cancel all plans today, including the already serially rescheduled dinner date with Mrs. S and the much anticipated girls' night. Per communication with Miss H and Miss E, as well as Miss L it has been rescheduled for tomorrow night. Then we can bring out the champagne (loosely used) and truffles and behave like Carrie, Miranda, Samantha, and Charlotte. If you don't get the reference, you probably don't care about anything in this paragraph and should disregard it and think nothing of doing so.

In other and less frivolous news, Rotaract is going well - sort of. I guess starting a group like this is difficult to begin with, but we're having loads of trouble because our original treasurer had to step down so she can move, then instead of getting a new treasurer we had our Secretary, Mr. M take the role, leaving us secretary-less. In more exciting news of the Rotaract world, I went to the luncheon and engaged in more grown-up banter and bonding, had a delightful meal including a dark chocolate souffle and more seafood. I discovered that with the exception of my hard partying friends - even my newest friends are in relationships. I spent most of the time at the luncheon with Mr. M and Mr. L, both of whom are married, and of course the other table members were older and married as well. I did also enjoy the company of Mrs. L, the CEO, and Mrs. N, who is in charge of marketing, as well as Mrs. N's husband, whom I've met before. Most notable, I think was that I recognized a rather handsome man, who looks to be in his mid twenties to thirty-ish, whom I had seen at the Rotary club meeting I had attended. When I saw him this time I rather obviously gave him the "up and down" and was pleasantly surprised when he walked up to me and spoke to me. We introduced ourselves officially and were chatting when Mr. L and Mr. M came over and the conversation turned to vacation (fittingly, as we were about to set foot upon a cruise ship) and it was then shared by Mr. Hottie that he can't go on any exciting vacations for at least some months because he has an infant child with his wife. I, at that point, wasn't sure what had made Mr. Hottie choose to come talk to me after the obvious "up and down" check out - but I guess I'll have to assume that it was just pleasant to see another young person about and not that he was pleased to be checked out by a sexy young thing like me. Or maybe one can be pleased about that and do a little flirting and still be in a happy marriage with an infant child - who knows. I know nothing of the less obvious rules of relationships. Anything not in the ten commandments is less than obvious. Well, maybe there are some other obvious rules - I don't believe the commandments warn against battering one's wife or leaving the toilet seat up but they still count as obvious.

And finally, I'll end this rather epic post with mention of my birthday, further guy troubles, and sparkly things. Here is just an overview of the things in a somewhat chronological order:
I continued the thing with Mr. J's co-worker until I met another guy, Mr. PH, who in the end just made my life more dramatic. I guess it's a little more confusing than the description that I've just given as there was some overlap, some jealousy, and some good and bad behaviors from all involved. I was introduced to Mr. PH by Miss L's former RA one night after discussing my zeal for the German language and culture - he shares in that, is attractive, studies biology, and seem(s)(ed) like a genuinely nice guy. Anyway, this was a night when Mr. Latin Lover was not out and about and I was surprised and delighted to hit it off with Miss A and Mr. PH. I went back with them to their place to watch a movie and found myself cuddling with Mr. PH and growing rather fond of him. Miss A gave me a ride back to my place in the morning and I spent much of the day in a dazed state thinking about actually meeting a nice guy.

The following week brought some mixed signals, I thought, as we sent a few text messages but didn't make plans and the responses on his end seemed a bit short. I had given up hope entirely and was once again flirting with Mr. Latin Lover at our usual Friday night hot spot and walked home with Mr. Latin Lover and Mr. J. Apparently, as I was leaving (with my hand in Mr. Latin Lover's) I was spotted by Mr. PH without seeing him myself. He sent me a text message on the way back which I initially ignored. When Mr. Latin Lover passed out in the middle of my bed snoring and put himself on my (probably temporary) shit-list I replied to the seemingly innocent text message to receive a second and somewhat jealous text message from Mr. PH. I responded back and then got a call. I left my room and went into the bathroom where I talked to Mr. PH for about twenty minutes and he expressed seemingly sincerely affection for me, a wish to cuddle, and a desire to see me again. I swore off Mr. Latin Lover (once he left) and spent the next day basking in birthday glory and the anticipation of seeing Mr. PH again. I received flowers and cards and a gift card for my favorite shoe store, I went out to dinner with the roommates, and then went to the usual haunts where I ended up spending the evening with fewer people than the night before, getting continually more disappointed at the absence of Mr. PH and remaining disappointingly sober for a birthday night. Drama ensued when a Canadian tried to flirt with Miss L and even went so far as to bad-mouth Mr. J, they left and I stayed because I saw Miss E and thought that the night could be salvaged. I talked with her briefly, sparked conversation with my tiara, got a birthday shot from a cute stranger who flirted unabashedly, and received somewhat of a lecture from the Canadian (who thought he was perfection on two legs) about never giving second chances - I was so disappointed with Mr. PH that I had just agreed that I should drop the trouble-maker but while the Canadian was still waiting to close out his tab I felt the hands of Mr. PH on my shoulders and thought that the night had been saved. Except it wasn't. Not at all. He paid very little attention to me and I walked home alone in the rain wishing I had flirted with birthday shot boy or Mr. H or chosen to not think about stupid silly boys at all. The good thing about the weekend was that I bonded with Miss A, a co-worker, and her boyfriend Mr. M.

So far twenty-two hasn't been terribly impressive, but I have high hopes still.

1 comment:

Teriana said...

You need to update your blog. And your blogger profile. It still says,

Industry: Student
Occupation: Undergrad

But don't get too specific. You wouldn't want any future employers to find out what a lush you are :)