Friday, March 16, 2007

I've made an amazing discovery!

...And if anyone actually read this blog, I might not have shared it for fear I would have more competition.

www.idealist.org

Actually, I hope all the world joins this site and does a lot of good things for the world, but stay away from my future jobs.

I was rejected from a certain program on whose acceptance to a certain next step I had been waiting. Rejection hurts, I did what any adult woman does: I called my mom. Actually, first I called one of my best friends who had actually been accepted to the program and left a sad, sad message on her voicemail, then I called my mom. I called my mom and I cried. I also made it sound like my life was over because I wouldn't be teaching kids in the inner city of whom I would likely be afraid. Apparently my family will dish out unconditional love, on the condition that I stop feeling sorry for myself...

This tragedy led me to realize that I didn't really want to be a teacher (even if I would have been damn good) and that I really just wanted to go to another new place and live a more exciting life than what I would probably have if I remained in or near my current location. This led me to bigger and better things, or smaller and worse paying things, depends on how this current job search rampage goes. I went back to another recruiter, similar to the recruiter which had recently rejected me, but it offers positions that are not necessarily teaching. For these positions I would receive money to live and possibly some other benefits. When I realized that living on less than $1000 a month in New York City, especially with my budgetary habits, would be near impossible, I managed to stumble over the idealist.org website (praise google). That allowed me to find a number of other opportunities, some of which should pay at least a little more, though I don't know how much I'll lose to taxes, so maybe I'll still be living on less than $1000 a month in NYC. Ouch.

In any case, I've had varying degrees of success with this job search rampage... I've managed two phone interviews for the positions which will leave me scrounging for change on subways and I've managed to leave two messages and to receive a near promise to read an e-mail out of the more promising waged positions. I'm not letting this not-quite-success get me down. I talked to my mom again without the crying and self pity, got not only her unconditional love, but a hint that she may pay for me to go to NYC, stay in a hostel, and interview for positions. Whoa. That would be fantastic. All I have to do is solidify some real live interviews, even of the informational and therefore not going anywhere sort. One of these positions would even be directly related to my field of study. WHOA. I thought the closest I could ever get to working in IR would be reading the International News section of the New York Times while serving someone coffee or answering phones at a hardwood flooring company.

No comments: